Sunday, May 9, 2010

86 instant communication

Now that we are far far away from our cellphones, constant internet access and the liking we have to use these ancient things called phones inside of hotel rooms and remembering our friends room numbers in order to make those calls. Crazy right? We all literally have a piece of paper that details the room numbers. Today was a free day for us, meaning we could do whatever we liked. Last night after dinner we decided that we would met for breakfast at 10 a.m. and decide what we would like to do for the day. At 10 a.m. all were there except for the boys, so we decided that we would eat breakfast and then met again at noon to go explore. At noon, we were all there and headed to The National Museum. The museum was actually not as impressive as I thought it would be. It was more replicas than I had imagined. I'm still awaiting the book of Kells from Trinity College. Isa and I managed to find Starbucks, and although I'm not the biggest coffee person it was definitely good to enjoy a vanilla latte! We decided to split up because people wanted to do different things. So again we all made plans (ahead of time- what a concept!) to meet in the lobby at 7 p.m. for dinner. I, and three other girls, headed to the shops! We had seen a store with a sign that read 75% off on shoes, so of course that was our ideal first destination.

Not exactly the way things worked out. We got hungry and saw a sign that read "Take out sandwiches 2.95." This was from the same place that we had lunch yesterday (the panera of Ireland). I think it has become my favorite place to eat. I've kinda gotten tired of the fish and chips and irish stew. So these sandwiches are a nice change. I enjoyed a delicious spicy chicken and spinach sandwich :). After eating, we stumbled across a store called Penny's (absolutely not to be confused with JC Penny's from home). The first thing that caught my eye was bathing suits for FIVE EUROS! WHATTT??!?!?! Obviously, I was sold. This store is the best thing ever created in the world. Okay obviously not the world. I like to think that even shopping here is a cultural experience. While I've been walking the streets I tend to admire and pay close attention to how people interact and to how they dress as well. The clothing in this department store says a lot of the youth culture (and it says a lot in cheap numbers!). I had high hopes of finding heels because some were as cheap as 5 euros, but unfortunately they didn't have my size. I ended up spending a total of 30 dollars (24 Euros) on my purchases. And anyone who knows me well, knows that I LOVE spending money when I am getting greattttt deals (yes, I know I sound like my dad). Now, I should stop sounding selfish. I also did a bit of souvenir shopping for the wonderful people who made this trip possible (even though they told me not to). But I don't care! :D

My end of the day consisted of skyping with Chaz, Rox and Eddie! Yup, Eddie beat you to it mom! =P Then we went to eat at SuperMac- take a guess? Yup, something similar to a McDonalds but better bc it has baked potatoes and pizza. Not that I missed the crappy American fast food, but we all wanted something cheap and quick to eat.
As for this bloody cold of mine. Tonight I took my 3rd of 5 pills and I'm still very congested but I don't have a sore throat anymore so that is good. However, two girls are starting to get a sore throat. It's probably my fault and I feel bad. :(

The weather here as been above and beyond anything that any of us could have asked for. We were told that it would be rainy and overcast the entire time. Our raincoats and boots are probably collecting dusk in our luggages (good thing!). Today I even wore shorts with stockings underneath them and it felt great. My grandparents told me that when they came here years ago they too had beautiful weather. So I secretly thought I would have their same luck. Obviously it is the luck of the irish ;).

Tomorrow I have class at 8 a.m. and then we have a bus tour of Dublin. I just really don't know how much I love Dublin. Galway I LOVE. It's ironic because I love Galway for all the reasons that I hate Gainesville, haha. I love the small city feeling and the warmth of the people. Dublin just doesn't make me feel like I'm in Ireland. Maybe tomorrow's tour will change but my mind. As of now, my hear remains in Galway.<3

PS- I havn't figured out how to upload pictures onto this blog just yet. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment