Tuesday, June 1, 2010

So long sweet Europe

The bottomless pit I felt in my stomach as our planed landed in Newark was a feeling I had never felt before. Every time I come home from another place, it is always sad and I feel that unease sensation but this time it was different.

Saturday and all day Sunday I had no feelings of sadness. I was ready to go home. I have a lot of things to look forward to. I have an internship, my family and friends (who I only see once a month), the beach, new puppies that my grandparents got not to mention all the subtle American qualities that I have missed. I was pleased with the amount of time I had spent in Europe. Although I wish I could stay exploring Europe longer I knew that my time to go home was May 31, 2010 and I was ready.

Or so I thought.

Sunday night as I boarded the cruise for our dinner on the Thames River I realized that this would be the last time all 56 of us would ever be together. I have met so many different kinds of people; some of course whom I love and other whom I would prefer not to spend so much time with. But that’s natural. It was a great evening, accompanied by a buffet, music and picture snapping. As I climbed up to the top bunk of our bunk beds for one last time I really realized how much I didn’t want to go home. Of course, I only got a few hours of sleep and waking up at 6:00 a.m. to be at the airport for our 10:30 a.m. flight was not fun.

Fast forward to 7:30 p.m., travel backwards to 1:30 p.m. in American time, two movies and a nap later I look out the window to New York City. A sigh of sadness exhaled my body. I held back tears, not too sure why.. but I did. I guess I am glad to be home but it’s a difficult transition.

So this is my official farewell blog. If there is one thing this trip had taught me, among many other things of course, it is how appreciative I am for everyone and every thing in my life. I couldn’t ask for more. Life is good.

Until my next destination unknown….

No comments:

Post a Comment